Your attitude, potential and passion is what matters. Work inside a talented development team, you will be expected to produce well tested code to a tight acceptance criteria.
Viva IT is an innovative and exciting fintech. We specialise in creating mobile app and web-based financial software. Although we have a fully remote workforce, we are centred in the East Midlands, UK.
We believe there are just a few simple things needed to create great software: state of the art technology, a continuously delivering pipeline of code, a purpose, a relaxed working environment, and most importantly a like minded team of people.
We take an hybrid-agile approach to product development, forgoing the traditional vertical structure of management, meaning that even our newest developers will be given opportunities and encouraged to lead and learn.
We're looking for software engineers who share our passion for code. We're primarily a PHP team, but we're strong believers that language doesn't matter - the kind of software engineer we're looking for will be able to create magic, regardless of the language however previous experience in our tools will be a bonus.
We use an array of tools, technologies and frameworks including:
- PHP 8.2
- Symfony LTS releases including: 5.4 and 6.4
- Git & GitHub
Exposure to these tools is always favourable, but as an engineer we're sure you'll relish the opportunity to learn new technology and use new tools. We release multiple times a day through a fully automated release pipeline, this is development in the fast lane and there is no room to dawdle.
Ultimately, we want people who have a compulsion to solve problems, that thrive at being challenged, crave knowledge, aspire to be the best, a desire to deliver value, and most of all, people who have a real passion for the work. People just like us.
- A BSc/MSc in a relevant field such as computer science, software engineering, etc.
- or 2 years of relevant industry experience in commercial software development.
Our ideal candidate would have:
- 2 years of commercial Programming experience, ideally in PHP.
- Great understanding of object-oriented design and patterns.
- First-hand experience in creating database driven applications.
- Extensive experience in version control systems, particularly Git.
- A good understanding of web application security.
- A good understanding of software testing.
- A passion for open-source technology.
What is the work like?
For an insight into what is like working as a software developer at Viva IT, take a look at some blogs from other developers:
- A year with Viva IT by Sophie
- A month with Viva IT by Joe
- Four years with Viva IT by Kane
- Things I wish I'd known before starting at Viva IT by Leighton
Starting salary is negotiated based on previous experience with annual reviews. However indicative bands are below, depending on relevant acedemic background and commercial experience.
- Graduate without commercial experience (BSc Hons): £25k
- Graduate with 2y commercial experience: £25k-35k
- 2-4y relevant experience: £35k-48k
- 5y+ relevant experience: £48k+
We consider all experience and acedemic achievements.
The COVID-19 lockdowns accelerated our plans to become a remote-first company. Our team has transitioned fully to fully remote and there are no plans to return to the office. We heavily use remote collaboration tools. Although the path to remote-first includes an international team and no restrictions on working times, we're not quite ready for this yet.
It is critical that:
- You have a quiet and comfortable location where you can work from home, equipment can be provided.
- You can travel occasionally (2-4 times a year) to a location in the East Midlands, UK.
- You can work typical office times 09:00 to 17:30 (we've not transitioned to full flexible working)
- Must be based in the UK permanently.
We are not licensed to sponsor a visa and we have no immediate plans to register for a license.
Eligibility to work in the UK
Please ensure that you are eligible to work in the United Kingdom before you apply without a time limited visa.
We do not work with recruiters in any capacity. Please do not call us or send unsolicited CV's.
Although we have a remote team, we do occasionally meet up for social or business critical kick-off meetings. It is important that you can occasionally travel to these venues which will be based around the East Midlands.
Job Directory Websites
If you came to this page via another recruitment website or job directory, please be advised that if you submit your information through this job directory channel, you might not get a response.
If you're interested, please send us anything you'd like us to take a look at such as your CV, cover letter, links to your personal website, portfolios or GitHub to email@example.com.
Grow with us. Help us to succeed, and we'll help you to succeed.
If you have a further enquiry that might not be answered on this page, or you would like to apply for a role on our careers page, it is crucial that you contact us via our email address. We will not be able to help via the telephone. Any messages sent to our careers email address will be picked up by a member of our team.